Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Around the Bloc


I haven't had a lot of time to read lately, but I recently managed to sneak in the memior-like stories of Stephanie Elizondo Griest in her book Around the Bloc. If you are interested in travel and inter-cultural relationships I would highly recommend it. It is the true, honest experience of a young traveler. I also had the opportunity to sit in on a skype interview with the author today (wow!!). She's very real and down to earth, which is reflected in her book. Here is an exerpt I found particularly true to my own story:

"Stesha," Valera said softly, "soon you are going to be home in Corpus [Texas], near the ocean. Vcyo budet klassno." Everything will be cool. He popped the top off the champagne and poured a tasting into three flutes. "Here, it is very difficult to live."


"That's the difference between America and Russia, isn't it? There, it is easy; here it is hard," I summed up what people had told me since the day I arrived.


"Legche znachit luchshe," he said as he raised his flute. Easier means better.


"Ne vsegda," I ventured as I clinked his flute. Not always.


"You know, Stesha, it took me a whole year to get over the transition from America back to Russia," Elena offered in her quiet, nonimposing way. "But I can't tell you how strong I feel inside now."


"What caused that, do you think?"


Elena looked out the window a few moments before responding in a steady voice that swelled with pride.
"Wisdon." She smiled, then downed her flute.






No comments:

Post a Comment