Friday, October 14, 2011

A real update

A while back I sent out a plea for prayer to some of my strongest allies in life and faith.
I was struggling with some sin, and some temptation, and I was struggling alone. I felt distant from the girls I live with - too distant to talk about it - and didn't know where else to look for support. I knew and felt that my life with Christ was taking some serious hits because of this solo act I was trying; I was simply at a loss.
Living a Christian life alone just does not work. I've tried, thinking, 'I can manage' or 'It will only be for a few weeks'. But weeks turn into months, and I slide into easy, comfortable living. With no one to challenge or encourage me, every part of my life suffers.
Letting my allies know what was up was the first step in reclaiming my freedom in Christ that the world had been so subtly staking out. I'm convinced this is something I will have to continue to do for the rest of my life. Christianity is a battle.
The love and encouragement I received from everyone was overwhelming. I cried with every message remembering and praising God that I really wasn't alone. Because of these friends I found renewed courage, and saw the hand of God working out the details of change.
I prayed with my roommates, and we shared our hearts. I sucked it up and emailed a church leader about joining a small group. I asked a North Park faculty member to pray for me.
It isn't perfect, but I'm moving into places where I have accountability and real, honest fellowship.
I am most excited about the small group from my church. Brenda and I went for the first time a few weeks ago and felt instantly at home. They spoke about things that are so heavy on my heart, and they welcomed us like family. I'm really looking forward to growing with these people and learning from them and their wisdom.
And since picking myself up from the sticky gum of self-pity (or rather, being lifted up by my brothers and sisters), God has been reminding me of his desire and command for me to share the gospel. It's been on my heart, and I pray it continues to be.
Just last weekend a good friend from Romania stayed with me for a day and a half. It was so great to show her the city (she'd never been to Chicago! or the US!) and to catch up on the three years since we'd last met. And it was great because God was not going to let her leave here without me sharing about Him. I asked her who God was to her and was able to explain my view of God and what He means to me. So awesome.
Thanks to my allies who pray for me, and love on me like no one else does. And thanks to my God for his unceasing faithfulness. I'm growing, and I just wanted to share with you all my joy and excitement.

1 comment:

  1. Deut.30:15, see i have set before you today life and prosperity and death and adversity in that I command you today to love the LORD your God, to walk in His ways and to keep His commandments and His statutes and His judgments, that you may live and multiply and that the LORD your God may bless you in the land where you are entering to possess it. But if your heart turns away and you will not obey, but are drawn away and worship other gods and serve them, I declare to you today that you shall surely perish...

    I read this yesterday and was struck with the choice we have. I am glad you are choosing life!

    ReplyDelete