Sunday, August 28, 2011

Catch Up

Its been so long, we're just gonna have to settle for an overview.

The one word that best describes my summer?
Moise.
Moise belongs to Karol and Jim, my old bosses at the coffee shop. They adopted him from Haiti as a baby (I hope I'm getting this all right), and he has cerebral palsy along with a slew of other health issues. Karol pretty much saved my life when she offered to have me watch him this summer.

I have to be honest, though, I was worried about how the summer would go. Moise needs a lot of help, and sometimes he isn't a lot of fun to watch.
But I fell in love with the kid.
It is incredible how unique and special God made all of us. I used to look at Moise and only see his handicaps. But now I know him. I can see that, just like me, he has a personality. And he has quirks. The oddest little quirks. He could watch Baby Einsteins forever. And he thinks its hilarious to take his leg braces off and cover his head with a blanket. It all makes him Moise. I just love it.

Some days we had so much fun.
Other days it was a battle just to keep him entertained and on the potty regularly.
But I'm so thankful to have spent my summer with him. I look at people a little differently now. With a little bit more compassion, I think. And patience. And probably a little more understanding. Especially people like Moise, who just need a little extra help through life.
They are pretty special.

(Twin moles!)

The rest of my summer was a lot of sitting around and trying to reconcile my slower paced lifestyle to my faith. I struggled a lot with the feeling that I wasn't serving Christ to the fullest. I wrestled with the question of whether God can be glorified even in the stillness like that. Even when my life isn't active and hectic. People always say that we can glorify God in even the little things of our lives and in ordinary tasks. But when you are there living it, it sure doesn't feel like anything special.
I'm still working on that. It is something that God and I have been discussing for a few years now, really. Whenever I'm not overseas it feels like. More and more He breaks through and I catch glimmers of understanding, but it is a process so I'll just wrestle with it some more.

I'm at school now. Its been nuts. But I'll leave that for later.
Thanks for listening.

1 comment:

  1. I probably don't need to tell you that I LOVE this post. If I saved your life this summer, then you saved my sanity or maybe my whole family's sanity. He's the Mo-man. There never has been and never will be another like him. He touches lives in big ways without even trying. And you wonder if God can work in you through the stillness? Look at Moise's life, it doesn't get much more "still" than that yet God uses him every day. Remember Matthew 25:40, while there are different theories on who Jesus refers to as "the least of these," one theory, which I tend to believe, is that Moise is "one of the least of these." Sometimes God uses us and is glorfied not "even" but "especially" in the stillness.
    And I love the twin moles.
    Karol
    www.lovinglaynee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete