Thursday, April 7, 2011

Everyone Should Ride


Last semester I acquired a nice little single speed to spin around Chicago. It has a silver frame and yellow tires. The right hand brake is a little loose, but it stops me. And it rides so smooth.

For months it has sat pitifully in Ohlson's bike room, but now that the world is thawing I have finally mustered the courage to take it out on the streets. Three times! Twice I road to the lake and took the trail downtown, and today I went out and got groceries. I love the thrill of it and the freedom it offers.

My favorite thing is to pedal past the mile long line of stopped cars waiting for a green light. It just feels good.

You might be wondering how I was able to pay for this bike, considering my job situation. Well, I have the two awesomest brothers in the world, and one of them valet parks here in the city. He pretty much rocks - funn-y, funn-er. They both make my life a thousand times sweeter.

So, all that to say, I feel like I have been handed the keys to the city. I can go anywhere my tires will take me. No longer do I have spend thirty minutes looking for a parking spot or spend 2.25 on the el. With my bike, I'm set. There really is no better way to travel in the city.


No comments:

Post a Comment