Wednesday, November 7, 2012

full circle or paying it forward

When I was young and in high school a college student made me her friend. She invited me to bonfires at her friend's cabin. We went out for coffee. She was sweet, and she laughed at the things I said. She taught me about life. About boys and about God. Inadvertantly, I think. Or thought then.

Then I grew up. At least, halfway. I worked with the youth group. Went to junior high girls' birthday parties. We danced ballet in my driveway. Walked to Pinky's in big groups for ice cream. Some of them, I invited to hang out with my friends. And I drove them all everywhere.

One of those girls has now taken my place. She told told me tonight that sometimes she's not sure when to act like a junior higher and when to be the adult. I told her I always just acted like and idiot. I get that from my dad. Then she told me, laughing at the realization, "I really thought you were my best friend."

And I knew that she got it. That she wanted to be, and was going to be, what that college student was for me, and what I was for her.

That is how you raise up a generation. Glory be to God.

No comments:

Post a Comment